Re: Doing the Front Spoiler thing

To: "Eric" <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: Doing the Front Spoiler thing
From: "Thomas Pokrefke" <pokrefke@mstar2.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:28:30 -0500
Eric -

I, at one time, had two spoilers for my B.  One was the fiberglass 'Special
Tuning' air dam, the other was a piece of metal a friend of my father's had
made for me.

With the homemade spoiler (which left about 6" of clearance) in place, my B
topped out at in the triple digits.  That was assuming once had balls large
enough to keep the gas pedal pressed to the firewall as all the air
underneath the car began to unload the rear suspension and cause the back
end to raise what felt like 1 to 3 inches.

The 'Special Tuning' air dam eliminated this hair raising experience, but
cut the top speed to double digit range.  However, the air dam soon ripped
on speed bumps, cat, etc.  I got tired of messing with it and threw it away.

Where am I now?  I have the homemade metal job, to which I bolted a 4" stip
of plastic across the front.  Special Tuning 'feelings' without the fear of
potholes.  By the way, I never noticed a difference in cornering with the
different air dams.

All of this reminds me of the summer I first bought my B.  Dad had used some
thin sheet aluminum to hand craft a spoiler (the original one was missing).
The thing made my B look ready for Nascar, I swear it had about 2" of
clearance.

Until one night, on a dark Louisiana back road, machine met armadillo in the
middle of a high speed corner.  It took me several minutes to bend the
spoiler off the front tire and get going again.

Poor armadillo.

Thomas Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB

Mr. Gaylord...please make the rain stop!