Re: Octane and altitude ratios???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Octane and altitude ratios???
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 04:32:42 EDT
Listers,

I have also found that mixtures of gasoline can vary even instate.  When I
lived in Southern California, I couldn't run Arco gas, even premium.  My
engine was recently rebuilt with flat-topped pistons, and 165psi in all
cylinders.  I had to run mid-grade (89 octane) Shell, Chevron, or Mobil
(whatever gas was cheap, but non-Arco).

When I moved to Bakersfield (same elevation as LA) naturally I shied away
from Arco until I had a discussion with a friend in the oil industry here.
He said all the local gas stations fill up from the local refinery and then
add their own additives.  I started running Arco 87 octane without any
problems at all (timing within specifications).

Whenever I go back to LA, I still need to stay away from Arco down there as
my car will still diesel, run-on, overheat, and generally complain with that
stuff.  Arco has their own refinery in San Pedro, and apparently fills all of
their Southern California stations from there.  Perhaps this can be
attributed to the Southern California Air Quality Management District and
their quality management of MTBE among other additives (slight rant!).

Just for reference, I have been running dual SU HIF 4's since I rebuilt my
engine in 1997, and once set, they have given me no problems at all.  All (or
most) of the smog items have been removed until needed every two years.

Just my two cents and appologies for being long-winded.

Steve Sanchez
1977 MGB