Re: Octane and altitude ratios???

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Octane and altitude ratios???
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@core.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 10:38:41 -0400
We have the same effect with our Saturn.  Premium gas yields better
mileage.  In the case of the Saturn, I was able to nail it down to the
engine management electronics by experimenting with a timing light and
talking to a Saturn mechanic.

The premium gas doesn't "ping" as easily, which keeps the preignition
sensor happy, which allows the electronics to run more ignition advance,
hence more efficiency and gas mileage.

I sat down and figured out that the "mid-grade" gas got us the most
"miles per $", at least until the recent price craziness.

Chris K.