RE: Octane and altitude ratios???

To: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: RE: Octane and altitude ratios???
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:43:48 -0600
This is true - ethanol contains a considerably lower energy value (BTUs -
British thermal units). Ethanol also has a higher evaporative loss. Gasohol
is usually a mixture of 10% ethanol in gasoline.

In short, it would not be unreasonable to see a 5-10% reduction in gas
mileage (but 10% at the most) with gasohol. In the old days, I saw a
similar boost of a little more than 5% in gas mileage using higher octane
fuel. But that was when tetra-ethyl lead and a few other chemicals were
used to boost the octane. However, even a 10% boost in gas mileage did not
erase the fact that the higher octane fuel cost maybe 20% more, negating
any real savings of any kind.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT