Re: the passing of american mechanics

To: kmr@pil.net, WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the passing of american mechanics
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:27:28 EDT
In a message dated 7/6/00 3:51:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kmr@pil.net
writes:

<< > Especially to children and teens.  They are the future of our cars, so we
 > need to get them interested.  (Most teens could probably afford an MG,
 > but most American muscle cars are now way too expensive.  That leaves >
 them with rice boys, unless we show them the way.)  If they knew that
 > most LBCs are inexpensive to buy, easy to find parts, and easy to work
 > on, they could get interested.

 I completely disagree.  Encouraging teens to purchase LBCs is like giving
 them a license to be your next DPO.  Do you really think they're going to
 take the time, or want to, learn how to adjust points, valves, and
 everything else associated with routine maintenance?  And what about more
 complicated work.

 Plus, the less you encourage children and teens to purchase LBCs... the more
 LBCs there will be for you and me to purchase.

 If they already don't know what an MG or a Triumph is, why bother getting
 them involved.  I don't need to see more bailing wire being used to hold MGs
 together in the future. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, Kai, as much as I would like to live forever and keep buying LBCs,
I don't think I am going to make it.  Eventually I will be pushing up
daisies, and my Midget will either belong to someone else, or be
scrapped.  I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be far off if I took a guess
that most of the listers here are somewhere between 10 and 90 years
old.  (Even you.)  If we are to still have LBCs on the road 50 years from
now, SOMEONE will have to take over for the MAJORITY of our current
crop of listers.

Where do you think the next owner, or two owners, or even three
owners of YOUR car will come from?  This list?  Or maybe, just maybe,
there will be some youngsters (who aren't even born yet) who will see
something absolutely fascinating in an almost totally mechanical vehicle
that is a hoot to drive, easy to work on, and can go 100 MPH.

I am, as many of you know, also a Boy Scout leader.  I know that the
future of our world lies in the youth of the present.  Someone once said
that we didn't inherit the earth from our forefathers, we are borrowing it
from our grandchildren.  Same goes for our LBCs.  We have to take the
time to involve kids in the care and maintenance of these wonderful cars.
Invite them in and watch old Avengers TV shows.  Get them interested
and they won't become DPOs.

OK, List.  Who's right?  Me, or Kai?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward