Re: the passing of american mechanics

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <WSpohn4@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: the passing of american mechanics
From: "RL Chrysler" <lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:37:05 -0400
It was written:
> > Especially to children and teens.  They are the future of our cars, so
we
> > need to get them interested.  (Most teens could probably afford an MG,
> > but most American muscle cars are now way too expensive.  That leaves >
> them with rice boys, unless we show them the way.)  If they knew that
> > most LBCs are inexpensive to buy, easy to find parts, and easy to work
> > on, they could get interested.
>
> I completely disagree.  Encouraging teens to purchase LBCs is like giving
> them a license to be your next DPO.  Do you really think they're going to
> take the time, or want to, learn how to adjust points, valves, and
> everything else associated with routine maintenance?  And what about more
> complicated work.
>
> Plus, the less you encourage children and teens to purchase LBCs... the
more
> LBCs there will be for you and me to purchase.
>
> If they already don't know what an MG or a Triumph is, why bother getting
> them involved.  I don't need to see more bailing wire being used to hold
MGs
> together in the future.
>
> Let them keep their Hondas...

Well, we (including my son) drive Hondas as our daily transportation, but my
son has been raised in an LBC household, and has picked up the appreciation
of doing up a '66 B the right way ( read accurately and thoroughly). You
ought to hear him "informing and educating" his peers about LBC's when they
come over and start to give him a rough time about his beloved "B".
Thank goodness there are a few in the newest generation of drivers who seem
to truly appreciate the cars for what they are, and will "fly the flag" into
the future when we are only able to navigate the halls of the old folks home
in out wheel chairs.
Rich chrysler