Re: Engines, and assorted nonsense.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engines, and assorted nonsense.
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 22:50:38 -0400
On Tue, 03 Oct 2000, Larry Hoy wrote:
> Sounds like a good decision.  The 1967 engine is considered to be one of the
> best setups.  Of course you can always ... hehehe.

My next one will be a 76+ that I can just bolt the V8 into. And the
chrome bumper mod, of course.

> The 67 has a little higher compression than some other years, and has very
> little smog junk.  That combines for a little more horsepower.
>
> A little cam is ok, a big cam is a PITA.

When I get to that point, I'll ask where the line is drawn. I assume the
Bentley and Haynes manuals can give me the 67 scoop.

> SUs are great carbs, but get them fixed right.  Lawrie Alexander on this list
>is
> one of the best, if not the best, at rebuilding them.

I forgot to mention, some PO converted this beast to a single DGV. How about
cross flow heads? They're expensive, but what do they actually gain me?
Should I look at converting BACK to dual SU?

> Tear that thing apart and have at it.  Label pieces, I use Zip Locks.  Keep
> everything clean.  Ask questions, both from this list and your savvy buddies.
> Ultimately you'll have a nice strong engine that will undoubtedly last a long
> time.

Actually, I plan to document the hell out of the process with videotape and
digital camera. And the ziplocs, of course.

> PS Did I mention, ask questions?  I skipped that part once, I don't like
>talking
> about it.

I plan to. I'm amazed by this list. I'm an "Internet Guy" by trade (Senior
Internet Engineer) and am used to the adversarial tone of most tech lists.
There when some new user asks a new user question, they get curt answers
that usually end in RTFM. Here it's much more friendly. I appreciate it.

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |