Re: Engines, and assorted nonsense.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engines, and assorted nonsense.
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 00:07:05 EDT
In a message dated 10/03/00 8:29:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Mine came with the DGV. I took it off and put twin SUs on it and it was a
>  completely different car - more torque, more top end, better all round.
>  IMHO, the DGV is a waste of time and effort unless you have smog related
>  reasons (and I don't know if it would cure them either so please don't
quote
>  me).

I agree - the DGV is indeed a waste of time unless you have a late RBB with
servo and can't fit amything else.

>The DCOE only offers advantages over the SUs at the top end, and then
>  not much. If you aren't racing it, put twin SUs on it.

Right and wrong - the advantages at top end are much more than 'not much' At
the RPM range used on the street, the SUs are just fine.

>  Cross flow heads? Why bother. No one that I'm aware of (and I could be very
>  easily wrong) uses them here for racing so I really question how much
>  advantage they offer.

Wrong again. I use them for racing, and have for the last 25 years. They
offer (in the competition form, which no one sells these days) a considerable
torque advantage over anything but a totally modified non-cross flow head. I
race my TVR with one, as well as my Twincam, when the DOHC engine is out for
rebuild or development. They offer a very considerable advantage for racing,
when done properly. For the street, you are indeed probably better off with a
decently done CI head, if most of your time is spent below 5000 rpm or so.

On my race engine, with a CR box, the rpm literally never drop _below _ 5000
(the splits between gears are about 1200 rpm), and the twin Weber and Xflow
make a huge difference.

Bill S.