RE: Dodgy alternator?

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net, "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dodgy alternator?
From: scott beavis <scottbeavis@mobrey.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:25:58 -0000
>The charge light shouldn't be live on either side when the ignition is off
and
>certainly shouldn't be lit when the ignition is off.  If yours does this it
>implies that one or more of your alternator diodes has gone short.

What I meant was the SUPPLY to the charge light was live with the key out.
The light sits between +12V and the alto regulator circuitry. The light lit
with the key out (due to a blown diode) but on all other cars I've owned the
light would ONLY light with the ign on ie: blown diode shows as red light
when driving, but goes out with key out. The MG obviously powers this light
was a permanently live connection, which seems rather unusual.

I swapped the alternator on Saturday for an identical one from an old mini.
Same Lucas part, same plug, so saved me 60 quid. Charged battery, greased
the dzuz clips, topped up the battery with distilled water. Also adjusted
the rockers. Noticed the car has two horns and the one on the off-side is
not connected. Maybe it is dead. I'll connect it up and see. Noticed that a
lot of oil seems to be coming from between the head and block. The head is
torqued, so maybe the gasket is on the way out. Checked all the fuses (in
the vicinity of the fuse box, 4 in box, 3 inline) all were ok. Rear demist
still dead so will start pulling switches etc and checking for voltage.

At least it's on the road again.

Scott

PS: I remember now, shortly before the red light came on whilst driving home
last week, I smelt a stink of what I thought was hot brakes/clutch. It must
have infact been the diode frying.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com