Dual SU's vs. Weber Downdraft

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dual SU's vs. Weber Downdraft
From: Nferre@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:36:59 EST
From: Nferre@aol.com
Full-name: Nferre
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:39:19 EST
To: owner-mgs@autox.team.net

Hi Gang!

I am getting ready to finish the rebuild on my '79B.  I currently have dual
SU's (HIF-4) carbs on the car, but it seems that I often have to adjust the
idle (like every time the outside temperature changes...summer to fall for
example.)

I will be having the engine removed for rebuilding, the wiring harness
removed for replacement, then the car will be flat bedded to the body shop.
When it's finished there, everything will be reassembled (along with a
conversion to chrome bumpers).

Should I keep the SU's (like my mechanic says)...or go for a single downdraft
Weber?  I am looking for someting that works well, gives reasonable mileage
(25 mpg) and is as maintenance free as possible.

Thanks in Advance.
Nels Ferri
'79 MGB
Lake Mary, FL