Re: Dual SU's vs. Weber Downdraft

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dual SU's vs. Weber Downdraft
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:55:25 -0500
Not to interrupt this fascinating repartee, but it does touch on a question
that's been bubbling in the back of my mind.

I'm about to pull the engine from my 73B (Funny, I've been saying that for
weeks. Oh for the 8 day week)

It's currently got a DGV conversion. It starts VERY rough and has a tough
time staying started until the engine heats up. It also is leaking an awful
lot of oil once it gets to temp, though I've not really located from where,
I THINK it's from the front tappet cover.

The guy I bought it from had done some work on it in the two weeks he owned
it (He was transferred out of state just days after buying it). He told me
"That Weber is in good shape but is in serious need of a tuning. I havent
opened it up, it may need a rebuild"

The bottom line is, I'm doing a full paint strip/respray, including the
engine compartment. I'm also considering one of Waterloo's 5 speed
transmission kits. So in essence, the engine is coming out.

Odometer is stuck at 69999, and 1993 title shows 69999 miles, so I have no
idea how many miles are on it. Because of this, and because of the fact that
the engine's coming out anyway, I'm going to take the time to rebuild the
engine, not overboring unless necessary, and rebuild it back to 1967 specs
which kelvin was so nice to provide.

OK, now that we have the groundwork, here's my question.

I have a DGV in need of a rebuild and tuning. I plan to put HS4 carbs on it
(Probably new, maybe rebuilt used). And everything I've read says that the
first time you start a rebuilt engine you should get everything working so
that it fires up the first time and you can get it to 2000rpm and hold it
there.

One way or another I'm going to have a suspect carb(s). Do I rebuild the DGV
and use that for the first 3000 miles after the rebuild, then go to the SU?
Do I get the SU as close as possible and stick with it? I dont have another
B series engine to test them on, though I guess I could probably take one to
a local brit mechanic for testing.

That's something that's always concerned me about this rebuild, I need the
engine to do the carbs, and the carbs to do the engine. What next???

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |