Re: Dual SU's vs. Weber Downdraft

To: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Subject: Re: Dual SU's vs. Weber Downdraft
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:17:58 -0600
Hi Chris,

  Look here,so far you've said you have a rough-running engine that
leaks oil.  Not enough info to indicate that it needs a rebuild.  Since
it leaks, you don't know if ut uses oil, unless it makes blue smoke or
the plugs are oil-fouled.  How's the compression?  What's the oil
pressure cold?  Hot?  On what oil?  Are the dizzy bushings good?  What
shape are the points in?  Are the dizzy cap, rotor and plug wires good?
How old are the plugs?  Are the valves adjusted correctly?  Have you
tried adjusting the carb?

  I could go on but you must have the idea.  You may know all this stuff
but haven't said so (or you did  I missed it).

  I'll say this one more time: you don't need a running engine to
rebuild a carb successfully.  And when you tune an engine, the _last_
thing you adjust is the carb.

  No matter which carb setup you choose, if it is adequatelty
reconditioned and installed, the engine will start right up.

  One more tip: some of these guys are getting completely carried away
with this cam bedding thing.

  Cheers,

  CR