Re: Dual SU's vs. Weber Downdraft

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dual SU's vs. Weber Downdraft
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:42:47 -0800 (PST)
Crane cams recommends bringing the engine up and over
1500 RPM right off the bat for the first 1/2 of it's
life. I have the instructions in .pdf if anyone wants
me to e-mail the instructions to them.

Brit-tech recommends talking to them about bedding in
a new cam before you run the engine. It's in their
catalog.

Instructions for the last cam I installed (autozone
special) emphasized getting the engine to fire up
immediately, then revving it cyclically between (not
sure of the RPMs here) 1500 and 2200 RPMs.

Snake oil the cam.

A typical parts seller, on the other hand, being in
the business of selling you parts, again and again,
and not necessarily being in the business of knowing
how to install parts, or telling you about it if they
do know how, might, I say might (picture a big cartoon
rooster) tell you to install it dry, crank the engine
over for hours on end, and if possible try a new
unknown improperly jetted carb so you can also wash
down the cylinder walls until you get the carb figured
out. In reality, they probably just assume you already
know.

You do what you like, I'm sticking with the rules...
snake oil, extreme cleanliness, proper cam break in
;-]

cherio,
jon

=====
77 MGB "Christine" slowly but surely healing:
before: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1294999&a=9971270
after: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1294999&a=9971291

58 Willys CJ-3B, the Killer-B:
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Paulsen.html