Re: MGB springs

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: MGB springs
From: "Dan Hackney" <danhackney@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:52:37 -0500
Larry-

> Dan, I have tried the 660lb lowered springs on my car, I removed them for
the MGB GT springs.  In my opinion the 660 springs are to
> stiff and too low for a street car (when I installed them on my 1969 the
car lowered almost 2").  You'll find you cannot get in and
> out of many parking lots, or cross any speed bumps with the 660s.  Plus I
think they're just too stiff for the street use.

The ones I ordered were the 550 lb. ones.  Moss catalogue says it will lower
CBB 1".

> Having said that.  If your springs are sagging now and you want a lower
car why are you considering replacement?  Keep in mind the
> spring rate over time doesn't change, the height does though.  So, if the
spring sags it will lower the car ride height but the
> spring rate will be the same as the new spring.  Is the rear sitting lower
than the front?  If this is the case you might want to
> consider leaving the rear alone and put the GT coils on the front.  They
have a slightly greater rate than stock and are about 1"
> lower.

I want to replace the rears becuase they are sagging unevenly, lower on the
driver's side.  You can really tell the difference between sides if you look
at each of them in turn.

> What ever you do, I recommend doing only one end at a time.  That way you
can check the ride height and decide what to do with the
> other end.

With that in mind, I think I'll order the stock sized leaf springs for the
rear, and then check the front.  The front springs I pulled off my car were
exactly 10" long (free length).
This doesn't seem to make sense because according to my car # (281---), moss
catalogue says I should use 264-375 (RD to 293445), but in your info
provided it says free length of this spring is 9 7/8".  How could my springs
become 1/8" longer over time?  Anyway, since both right and left are the
same length in the front, and about the correct length, I guess I'll do the
rear first and then adjust the front if necessary.
Also, assuming free length translates evenly to ride height, the 550 lb
springs I ordered originally would lower the car 2"!   After careful
consideration, I think I'll attempt to retain the stock height instead of
lowering.

Thanks,
-Dan
72B

> Here is information I received from a Moss employee.
>
> ...based on measuring springs that were on the shelf and comparing the
paint ID markings.  The length is the free length.

.