Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side

To: "David Pennington" <racerx23@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:29:08 -0500
David,

We all know that we are talking splined wheels not bolt on wheels. yes?

It is all very simple if you have engineering training.....Image the wire
wheel and its wing nut..  The wing nut is reluctant to rotate (Newtons's
first law of motion).  As the half/stub axle rotates it screws itself into
the wing nut because the nut is resisting movement   This screwing-into or
tightning continues as the nut always resists being moved.  Conversely when
the car drives backwards there is a tendancy for the winged nut to unscrew.
 The force applies is not large as one can imagine - but given time it will
get loose and then will unscrew rapidly.  If you want to see this work just
put a bolt in your electric drill, put a nut on the end and see what
happens when you turn the drill on - in both directions.

At 01:17 PM 12/28/00 -0500, David Pennington wrote:
>I am not trying to be obstinate, but why would a spinner get tighter from
>driving the car forward as opposed to backward? Stopping and starting torques
>have been discussed. My experience has been that stock spinners tend to
>gradually loosen with use. I also know from experience the stock setup can
and
>will unscrew if the splines fail, and I have proposed a theory as to why they
>do so. But what possible force could be twisting the spinner if the splines
>are not spun? Am I missing something here?
>
>I can imagine a tiny amount of play may exist between the splines which could
>allow the wheel to twist the spinner, and this could/would/will eventually
>loosen the spinner. But this play would be exceedingly small with good
>splines, if it exists at all. And if it does exist, it will tend to undo ANY
>spinner, regardless of its LH-RH thread type. This is why ALL spinners
need to
>be checked periodically. BTW, a fine thread spinner is less subject to
>loosening than the coarse, due to the increased force the fine thread spinner
>applies to the wheel if both are equally torqued. This explains the switch
>from 8 TPI spinners to 12 TPI spinners found on later models.
>
>I don't follow your reasoning here, and would very much like to understand if
>there is a mechanical principle I am overlooking.
>
>thanks again,
>
>Dave P
>70B

Regards