OD Tranny

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD Tranny
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 13:34:54 -0500
By word of mouth I have found a gent about an hour's drive from my house
with a 73 BGT for sale. He says that it has a 3-main engine and OD tranny
and plans to pull the engine for use in an MGA. He wants to sell the
remainder of the car very reasonably (much less than the cost of buying
an OD tranny alone).

My question: If the engine is indeed an early 3-main, does that mean that
the tranny is also the early D-type OD, or could a later Laycock OD
transmission be fitted to an early engine? Either way, I think I could
use the OD in one of my cars ('66 MGB with an early 3-main engine and non
OD tranny, and '72 BGT with '79 18V engine and late non-OD tranny).

Also, can a tranny be exchanged without pulling the engine?

Any advice or input is appreciated.
Bill Snyder