OD Tranny

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD Tranny
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:32:51 -0500
Last evening I was able to go and look at a '72BGT project or parts car
that a local fellow is trying to sell for $300. It has an 18GB engine
that he wants to keep to pu in his MGA. The tranny left behind is an OD
and I crawled underneath as best I could. The label plate on the bottom
side says Laycock Overdrive with a SN of 22/XXXXX.

My questions: Am I correct in assuming that this is the later OD, not the
early D-type?
Is not even this later OD worth more than the asking price? I would hope
to use it in my 72GT project. Wouldn't the value of the project increase
significantly with the addition of OD? Lastly, must the engine be pulled
to swap trannys?

Thanks to all for past and future advise.
Bill Snyder
66 MGB
72 BGT