OD Tranny

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD Tranny
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:24:23 -0500
A week or two ago I queried the list on the wisdom of purchasing a $300
parts car that contained a Laycock OD transmission. The car is a '72 GT
and apparently the OD was original to the car. The car had, however, been
refitted with an earlier 18GB engine. The PO wanted to keep the engine
and sell the remainder, to which I readily agreed. Today he called to
inform me that I might no longer want the car. When I asked why, he said
that upon pulling the engine, he found that whoever refitted the engine
had drilled out a portion of the bell housing on the OD transmission to
make room for the earlier model starter motor on the 18GB engine.

Should I quit on the deal since he has offered me an out? I assume the
housing is different from that of a regular 4 sync tranny(?). Can anybody
suggest just how much trouble I'm getting into by purchasing this car?

Thanks as always for your advice and input.
Bill Snyder
'66 MGB
'72 BGT