Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)
From: Bulwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:02:38 -0600
MTCW:

The first problem is the giving of awards to the cars
based on
appearance.  Many winning show winning trailer queens are
over
restored.  T

The first problem is the giving of giving too many awards to cars
based on
appearance.  Many winning show winning cars are trailer queens.
They ceased to be used as fun cars.  I don't like checkbook
winners and would like to see the premier stuff reduced to just a
cople of trophies: No separate classes for coupes, 1500's, etx.
I'd like to stick with the popular vote.  No official judges.
The majority
of the cars would be eligible for awards to cars built to show
room quality.  To insure that we're are keeping the car's close
to original, I would:

1)  All cars entered for judging must travel at least 200 miles
to the
event.  That could be 100 miles to and 100 miles back.  Cars
could be
trailed up to the 100/200 mile limit and then would need to be
driven
under their own power the rest of the distance.  It would be nice
if the
trailers were left at the 100 mile limit.  Any attendee living
closer
than the 100 mile limit would not be totally exempt.  They would
have to
drive the car a total of 150 miles during the gathering and
before the
judging to qualify.

2)  All cars must contain BMC designed parts either of the period
or no
later that 5 years later than the date of the last manufactured
car of
that model.  Thus MGA ring and pinions could be used in TD's, and
overdrives could be installed in MGA's.  The current limitation
of no
permanent alteration may/could apply.

3)  Only components that were BMC designed or used on a BMC car
of the
period could be used.  No Datsun transmissions, Volvo engines,
etc.,
except in the following instances:
  a: Safety--silicone brake fluid, seat belts, halogen lights,
etc.
  b: Required by law to make the car road worthy: turn signals,
brake lights, etc.
  c: Accessories of the period and not later than 5 years after
the
model ceased. Wind wings, heaters, luggage racks, etc. are
acceptable.

No MGA coupe with MGB air conditioning would fit this category as
AC
came more than 5 years after the introduction of the MGB.  No MKI
MGB's
with Costello V8's either although these conversions do make very
nice
cars.  It might be possible to work these in provided the
components
came from or were designed for MGs by BMC/Leland during that
model's
production life.

All cars not meeting the above criteria would/could be placed in
ONE
"modified" class.  The number of awards being based on the the
number of
cars in this one class.  No separate classes for coupes, 1600's
etc.
Just one class.

Blast away, I've closed my eyes, got out the Thesaurus, put
filters on the mailer, and have got my rubber suit on.

Blake
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1536873&a=11674710