Re: New British Car club

To: "Edwin McCarroll" <emccarroll@mco.edu>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New British Car club
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:51:01 -0700
Edwin,

You did not mention whether your club has activities other than these shows
twice a year. I certainly hope that was an oversight!

IMNSHO, after twenty five years of club involvement, the secret of success
for any car club is for the events to include lots of opportunities to drive
the darned things! Sunday morning tours for brunch, all-day drives that end
up at a restaurant or member's home for a barbecue, even weekend drives
which include an overnight stay at somewhere interesting. Competitive
rallies, from treasure hunts to complex TSD events; funkhana driving skill
tests; hill-climbs or sprints; all are other things the well-organized club
puts on to keep members happy and attract new ones.

If the focus is purely on organizing events that are static displays of
cars, you'll end up with a club whose members are overly concerned with
making their cars pretty rather than driving and enjoying them, the
perpetual losers in the car shows will lose interest in the club, and any
spectators (and potential customers for those vendors you are trying to
attract) will soon get tired of seeing the same of few cars on display.