RE: "correct" starting procedure / Framingham next monday?

To: DenverD@Texan.dk, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: "correct" starting procedure / Framingham next monday?
From: Duinhoven_Hans@emc.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:24:39 -0400
Curious,

I a looking exactly for the same info.
The old habit may work also for older cars with a hand operated choke,
provided these are equipped with an "accellaration pump" like Solex had. I
had these on my Simca's and have seen these on the German Fords.

SU carbs don't work that way, so this has no use.

With a cold engine I pull full choke and do not push the accelarator.
I have to crank for an elongated period (20 seconds...) and then the engine
starts fine.

When the engine still is cold, but has been started shortly before, only a
brief crank is needed to fire the engine still using the choke.

When warm no choke is used and the engine starts fine with a brief crank.

Why does the cold start needs an initial long cranking period???

The engine has been fully adjusted recently by a knowledgable MG specialized
mechanic.
This did not change anything to this cranking. It made the engine run more
smooth, give more power and lowered the fuel consumption.

Does this look familiar?

My engine is of the latest 18GK (US spec) series and the airpump has been
removed.
This is the original engine according to the BMHIT certificate.

Cheers,

Hans
February '71 BGT

I'll be at Framingham MA next monday evening. anyone nearby????