Looking for opinions/advice

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking for opinions/advice
From: "Greg Bass" <bass_c@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:37:41 -0400
Well... the B's engine is making severe knocking noises. Sounds like a cap
or a bearing problem to me and the mechanic I talked to. The car cranks but
I'll end up towing it someplace for repairs.

My question is this: since I am not an experienced mechanic (understatement
there!!) which is the best way to go. Have this engine rebuilt (if possible)
or purchase a engine to drop in the B. The one place I talked to gave me an
estimate of $3000 - $3500 to do a complete engine rebuild. Is that a
reasonable  cost? LOL... I don't know what I'm worried about it for since I
don't have that to invest in it right now anyway. Plus the wife would
probably shoot me if I did. :-)

Greg Bass
'78 B

///