Re: Looking for opinions/advice

To: Greg Bass <bass_c@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for opinions/advice
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:21:06 -0600
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but if you have a set of calipers, and
you haven't blown the engine you can do it yourself.  In your favorite shop
manual you will be given the dimensions for the journals at original and at
all overbores.  It will also give you the tolerance.  Mic each journal on the
crank in at least three different places to see if they are within spec, do the
 same for the rods and the crank journals (on the block).  If they are all
within
spec, replace the bearings and reassemble.  If there is doubt, give a machine
shop the numbers and have them look.

Ridge reaming and honing if necessary (you don't mention mileage) is real eazy.
Typically if you didn't blow the engine up the rebuild process is pretty easy.

At the very least, if you take the thing apart and take the parts to the machine
shop they can do all the work and you can reassemble.

The parts are real cheap, it is the labor that is a killer.  The more labor you
do, the less they bill for.  Most of that $3000 is removal, disassembly,
reassembly, and refiting;  all are very doable if you can follow shop manual
directions.  I personally like Haynes, but I doubt it matters.  At least read
the chapter on rebuilding the bottom end and see if it is a project you would
consider undertaking.

--
James Nazarian Jr
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 02:37:41PM -0400, Greg Bass profoundly declared:
> Well... the B's engine is making severe knocking noises. Sounds like a cap
> or a bearing problem to me and the mechanic I talked to. The car cranks but
> I'll end up towing it someplace for repairs.
>
> My question is this: since I am not an experienced mechanic (understatement
> there!!) which is the best way to go. Have this engine rebuilt (if possible)
> or purchase a engine to drop in the B. The one place I talked to gave me an
> estimate of $3000 - $3500 to do a complete engine rebuild. Is that a
> reasonable  cost? LOL... I don't know what I'm worried about it for since I
> don't have that to invest in it right now anyway. Plus the wife would
> probably shoot me if I did. :-)
>
> Greg Bass
> '78 B

///