Re: Looking for opinions/advice

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for opinions/advice
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:40:26 -0700
Well, that figure may reflect the mechanic's cost at standard shop prices
and parts mark-up, but it's really rather high when you consider you can buy
a high-performance V8 motor for that kind of money (not for an MG, of
course).

That price probably includes lots of stuff that you don't need, or could
easily do yourself, even if not immensely experienced. I would guess the DIY
price, parts and machine shop labor included, would be 1/3 to 1/2 of that,
depending on how many "while I'm at it" items you go for; possibly much
less, if you just fix the problem and don't try to rebuild everything (this
may or may not be advisable). Most of the work is just disassembly and
reassembly, with some machine shop work in the middle. These engines are
pretty simple, but if you have to do it on the curb or in a driveway (or in
your living room), it may not be viable with the domestic partner. If you
have some garage space, and 4-6 weekends to devote to it, it can be a fun
and educational project, and will leave you with a sense of accomplishment.

Other alternatives include swapping in a working used engine from a wrecking
yard or parts car (this is what I did), or sending to the UK for a rebuilt
block (if they are still available -- they were 10-15 years ago, because
that is where the engine in this parts car came from).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///