RE: valve noise

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: valve noise
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:24:43 -0400
Hi DenverD,

I'm now going to see if I can live up to all of the hype about me.

The lifters in a B are not hydraulic.  I once had a cam lose a lobe
and it was so loud I was convinced I'd spun a rod bearing.  B's have
naturally noisy valve trains, however there are a few things that make them
worse.

For instance, the rocker shafts wear badly.  With the valve cover off,
pull a rocker sideways against the spring so that it's not riding where it
was.  If the rocker shaft is worn, it will have ridges if not serious
grooves.  Last time I replaced one it was $20 and it went in without much
fuss.  The brass bushings in the rocker arms wear too, and you can replace
them (don't forget the oil holes!), but usually replacing the rocker shaft
takes
care of the problem.

Also, the faces of the rocker arms wear along with the tops of the valve
stems.  If they're worn, your feeler gauge is measuring the distance
between the outside edges of the rocker arm face where it's not worn, and the
top of the valve.  But there's more clearance where the face of the rocker
arm is worn.  The clue for this one is when your feeler gauge can't slide
smoothly and comes out all scratched.  You can take your valve train all
apart, have the rocker arms surfaced and rebushed, and put it all back together
with a new rocker shaft.  Or you can just keep adjusting the valves tighter
until the noise gets down to the sound of a sewing machine, which is
normal.  But only do this if you know that it's just rocker arm wear
because you don't want your valves too tight.

How'd I do?

Denise
--- Denise Thorpe

--- xyzabcde@earthlink.net