Re: MGA trade?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA trade?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:10:37 -0700
Hmm, this is an interesting point. I appreciate the fact that people are
concerned about their children's safety, but I wonder, are we getting too
paranoid? Let me just ask the list: how many of you have ever rolled over in
an automobile? Were you a child at the time? Were there any children in the
vehicle at the time? I would almost think that the probability was so small
as to be negligible. It is only in recent years, with the prevalence of high
CG vehicles such as SUVs and minivans, that rollover of passenger cars not
being driven recklessly has become common. A 4-seater convertible, such as a
VW Golf or Saab 9-3, or even a 60's Camaro or Dodge Dart, is extremely
unlikely to roll over unless it leaves the road entirely. It seems overly
protective to deny the pleasure of open air motoring to the young,
especially when you consider that they are far more at risk riding their
bikes to school, or even riding the school bus, for that matter (no seat
belts or head restraints).

Definitely IMO, FWIW, YMMV... and no, I don't have any kids (in case you
wondered), but I grew up playing on jungle gyms on asphalt playgrounds,
never wearing (never seeing, actually) a bike helmet, riding in the 3rd seat
of a Detroit station wagon with no seat belts, climbing 40 feet up fir
trees, and engaging in various other unthinkably hazardous activities (by
modern standards)...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149