Re: The Missing word.(is Magnette)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Missing word.(is Magnette)
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 12:47:39 -0600
Lawrie wrote:

> Sorry, Rocky, in the interests of accuracy I cannot let you propagate this
> erroneous information! The MG equivalent of the Austin America was the MG
> 1100 (later 1300, at least in the domestic market). It was never badged as a
> Magnette, that designation being reserved for the larger engined RWD sedans.

Well, I defer to an expert, but I do promise you this little
blue-grey America was definitely badged with the "Magnette" badge.
It also had a much fancier dash arrangement than any 1100 or America
I've ever seen. It didn't have a turbo mounted (as many MG 1100's
did), but did appear to have the 1275 power unit, with twin carbs. I
guess it was a special project of a previous owner. Now I regret
even more that I let it get away.

> I agree with you, however, about how much fun the 1100s were. I owned one as
> my everyday and MG club event transportation back in the early eighties.
> 'Twas, indeed, a hoot to drive!

I occasionally buy the turbo units in the UK and bring them back
here for Miniacs to use. I have yet to make any profit from the
effort, but I like to help my fellow Mini nuts. I do the same with
Mini and MG manuals I buy in used book shops in the UK. When I have
a small stack of them, I stick them on eBay.

I also like to have a list of things to find for people when I'm
scavenging the shops and breakers. I was able to obtain the tonneau
and top snaps for the Frog-eye Sprite owned by Shane Stephens from
Stephens Brothers Racing (Hallett Race Track) a couple of years ago.
He had been looking all over with no luck. I got them from the first
custom upholstery shop I tried, in Stockport.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm