Re: The Missing word.(is Magnette)

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Missing word.(is Magnette)
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:06:09 -0600
"Dodd, Kelvin" wrote:

> Rocky:
>
>         It sounds like you found a rare one.  If the MG sedan had round
> gauges then it was likely to have been a very rare for the US, MG 1300 Mk
> II.  This had twin carbs and the 1275 all synchro power unit.
>
>         Pretty much all of the MG sidewinder sedans that one runs across in
> the US are the twin carb 1098 cc crashbox versions.

Yup, that's so, and most of the Americas are autoboxes. I'm always
on the lookout for a standard America, since about half of them had
the ENB40 Cooper S crankshaft (a factory mistake).

>         I was lucky enough to find one that had been upgraded to a 1275cc
> all synchro powerplant.  The owner of the scrap yard didn't realize it had
> the later powerplant and I was able to get it very cheap.  That power unit
> is somewhere out in Colorado now hopefully powering someones Mini.

(sigh) Wish I had kept it (kicking self in head).

>         I think you may be a bit mixed thinking that the MG 1100s had
> turbos.  I believe you are thinking about the MG Metro which came much later
> and was available turbocharged.

Oops! You are undoubtedly correct. A slip on my part. (writes 200
times: "Metro, Metro, Metro.") No wonder I conflated the Marques; to
me they are both just donor cars for Minis.   ;)

>         I'm guessing that somehow or another an MG Magnette Mk III-IV rear
> badge ended up on both of the vehicles in question.  Come to think of it,
> the badge would look great on my 58 Magnette, since it has just the plain MG
> logo.

I have some octagons, including one aluminium alloy one, but no
Magnette ones.

I'll keep an eye out next time I visit my favourite breakers. I'll
also ask my buddy, Rick, who has a double garageful of LBC stuff.

(Anybody need a grill out of a Marina?)     ;)

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm