RE: The Missing word.(is Magnette)

To: "'Rocky Frisco'" <rock@rocky-frisco.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: The Missing word.(is Magnette)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:27:49 -0800
Rocky:

        It sounds like you found a rare one.  If the MG sedan had round
gauges then it was likely to have been a very rare for the US, MG 1300 Mk
II.  This had twin carbs and the 1275 all synchro power unit.

        Pretty much all of the MG sidewinder sedans that one runs across in
the US are the twin carb 1098 cc crashbox versions.

        I was lucky enough to find one that had been upgraded to a 1275cc
all synchro powerplant.  The owner of the scrap yard didn't realize it had
the later powerplant and I was able to get it very cheap.  That power unit
is somewhere out in Colorado now hopefully powering someones Mini.

        I think you may be a bit mixed thinking that the MG 1100s had
turbos.  I believe you are thinking about the MG Metro which came much later
and was available turbocharged.

        I'm guessing that somehow or another an MG Magnette Mk III-IV rear
badge ended up on both of the vehicles in question.  Come to think of it,
the badge would look great on my 58 Magnette, since it has just the plain MG
logo.

Kelvin.

> never badged as a
> > Magnette, that designation being reserved for the larger
> engined RWD sedans.
>
> Well, I defer to an expert, but I do promise you this little
> blue-grey America was definitely badged with the "Magnette" badge.
> It also had a much fancier dash arrangement than any 1100 or America
> I've ever seen. It didn't have a turbo mounted (as many MG 1100's
> did), but did appear to have the 1275 power unit, with twin carbs. I

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///