Re: leaf springs

To: dcouncil@imt.net
Subject: Re: leaf springs
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 07:12:24 -0500
David,
  I installed new leaf springs in my GT a year ago. Allow yourself a lot
of time. It's not complicated, but parts are rusty and there will be dirt
falling into your face steadily.
  Removing that front bolt can be easy, or difficult. You will know when
you attempt the job. The front bolts were easy on my '72 GT, and I
struggled with those on the rear.
  Knowing now that one doesn't know the condition of the bolts, I would
next time put penetrating oil onto the bolts many days before I intended
to work on them, then tap with a hammer, and squirt on the oil every
couple of days thereafter. I had to use a bernz torch to get the bolts
out of the shackles.
  Once new rear springs are in, the front of the car may appear low. If
the chrome strip is more than an inch lower at the front, and tires are
same size & pressure, you may want new front springs also.
Bob

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///