Re: leaf springs

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: leaf springs
From: "Smith, Timothy" <Timothy.Smith@navitaire.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:04:10 -0600
The front bushings have a metal sleeve that rusts onto the bolt holding the
spring to the car. Of course the sleeve won't fit through the bolt holes
in the mount. Since I had to reuse the bushings from my wrecked 74BGT I cut
out the spring mounts with a torch. I discovered the sleeve after removing
the bushing from the spring. I was then able to remove the sleeve from the
bolt with much WD40 and coaxing.

The shell I was putting the springs into was like your problem. The salvage
yard had cut the springs leaving the stubs rotating on the mounts. I cut the

bolt ends off with a side-wheel grinder and used the torch to cut out enough

of the remainder of the bolt to slip the springs out. It took multiple
attempts because the sheet metal heats very fast and I didn't want to wreck
the holes.

Tim

>Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:15:30 -0700
>From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
>Subject: leaf springs
>
>My 72B, still just a body shell in the garage, progresses towards the day
>it may once again be on the road - hopefully this summer. I'm working on
>the rear right now - just finished the boot lid, including a new rubber
>seal, putting on the emblems and the luggage rack.
>
>I noticed that the top leaf spring on the passenger side is broken. So I'll

>be ordering a pair shortly. Any advice on this job? My Haynes manual makes
>references about coating with lacquer amongst other things. Is this
>necessary? Or can I just bolt them on?
>
>I did remove the rear axle from my wrecked 71BGT but could not get the leaf

>springs off - I couldn't get the front bolt off or to even move (except to
>turn). I got the nut off though, but even pounding on the bolt did not
>work. Is this normal and something I will encounter on the 72B? I wasn't
>too worried about the BGT as I didn't need the leaf springs and what is
>left of the car will be headed to the junk yard.
>
>David

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///