Re: Valve Tick Tick

To: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Subject: Re: Valve Tick Tick
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:50:13 -0500
   STP and Motor Honey are additives that have been marketed for years,
though few in the business of maintaining engines can explain why that
should be so.   The clicking of the valve train takes place where parts
contact, but the oil on them is not under pressure. STP and MH make the
oil thicker (greater viscosity), but that is only advantageous if the oil
was already too thin (incorrect viscosity). 20-50 seems to be the best
oil viscosity available; it was recommended by MG and is still the oil of
choice for daily driver use.  By adding STP or MH you could raise the
viscosity to something thicker, but to what end?
   Give the engine clean oil as specified by the engine builder, clean
air and clean gasoline and it will be happy.  If the sales material is
just so overpoweringly strong that you must buy the products, drink them
yourself but don't put them into the MG engine.
Bob

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:58:54 EST Aeseeyou@aol.com writes:
> Would this
> help quiet the noise and possibly increase the oil pressure to the
> valves,
> thus helping to quiet them? Or would it just be a waste of money
> with no
> beneficial results. Hearing the

 incredible restorative and

> protective properties of one particular oil additive makes me almost
> want to
> run out and buy a 6 month supply right away. I heard them say that
> it quiets
> excessive engine noise as well as stopping oil burning from bad
> rings, so of
> course I'm skeptical of this product. Although running my car with
> no oil or
> water and then pouring sand  into the crankcase does sound rather
> interesting...Not!
> Albert Escalante
> 1977 XJ-6Lump, 1978 MGB
> Central Coast British Car Club