RE: carb problems

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: carb problems
From: "Maynard Hirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:57:59 -0600
Where to begin?

The majority of carb problems are not in the carb.

Is there any pollution plumbing on the car?  A bad gulp valve will cause
backfiring.

Check the cam timing.  Set the harmonic balancer at TDC.  Then check to see if
the piston is at TDC.  Both valves should be closed.

It sounds that the car is runnning too lean.  See if there is a vacuum leak.
Start the engine, and with a can of carb cleaner, spray by all the gaskets.
If there is a leak, the rpm will change.

What ignition system do you have?  If it is points, check the dwell.

Have you done a compression test?  What were the results.

I'll be glad to help more but I need more info.

Maynard Hirsch

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///