Re: speedometer and odometer trouble

To: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>,
Subject: Re: speedometer and odometer trouble
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 13:24:41 -0600
At 10:55 AM 2/17/02 +0100, Hans Duinhoven wrote:
>.... my odometer almost will have to turn to 60,000 miles.
>My speedo also has a wavy needle at some spots.
>The trip odometer colored dial truns not regulary but a bit forward and a
>bit still.

The odometer wheel turns in a stepwise fashion because it is driven by a
ratchet pawl.  On my MGA it does 58 steps per mile.  Other models will have
a different number of steps per mile depending on the reduction ratio.

Thw wavy needle is often caused by a dry or slightly kinked drive
cable.  You could try oiling the cable before changing it.  You should be
able to disconnect it at the speedometer end, pull out the inner rotating
cable, apply a little oil or light grease, reinstall the inner cable and
reconnect.  If that doesn't cure the wavy needle the next step is a new
cable.  Changing the cable usually cures the wavy needle problem.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///