Re: Are MGB reliable daily drivers?

To: Daniel Silverman <dans@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Are MGB reliable daily drivers?
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:22:07 -0600
Daniel,

That's a big can of worms you're potentially opening :)

In my experience, yes an MGB is a very reliable daily driver.  I have a 76 where
most major systems have been gone through (engine, electrical, cooling, and most
importantly, braking) and brought up to date with mostly new components.

If the current owner does not drive the car regularly, you'll run into more
problems getting it into normal use.  If the car is driven regularly, chances
are
most of the main things are okay.  I started having problems when I begin
driving
my B 3-5 days/week, where the previous owner drove it maybe once every week or
two.

What I have is a car that I can get in whenever I want to and drive wherever I
want to.  But getting it there did not come free.

Most people on this list do the repairs themselves.  These cars are incredibly
simple and easy to work on...much more so than any modern car.

What's the condition of the car?  (especially the body)  Has it been regularly
maintained?  How often is it driving?  All this stuff matters when deciding if a
particular B will make a reliable daily driver.

Good luck!

Tyson Sherman
mts3@ra.msstate.edu
http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman/

Daniel Silverman wrote:

> I live in Arizona and someone is selling a '77 MGB...
>
> I was wondering if a '77 MGB is a reliable daily driver...
>
> And if the car needs repairs/parts where do I go to?
>
> Daniel

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///