Re: Are MGB reliable daily drivers?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Are MGB reliable daily drivers?
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:21:51 +1030
S/KHT /BB7HT (strange name, that) wrote:

> I can't help but notice that all of the guys who are saying "Yeah, sure,
> mine is a daily driver, no problem" are the members of the board that the
> rest of us could refer to as "the answer guys".

As one of the 'question guys' rather than an 'answer guy' I would like
to spoil that rule :-)

Even without a roof, my '68B has been my primary daily driver rain, hail
or shine for a couple of years now.  A few breakdowns in its early years
and now it takes me to work and home each day and then out to the track
for some 'spirited driving' and then for a few hundred miles interstate
(some more 'spirited driving' on a racetrack) and back again.

Many of my more 'normal' and modern daily drivers would never last the distance.

A few things wear out - or break - just replace some bits and nail her
back together and on we go.

These are the perfect cars for us non-mechanics.  What I can't do myself
(and I am doing more and more myself) I just hand her to my MG mechanic
guru and she comes home smiling.

If you leave out the 'spirited driving' bit I reckon with some of the
basic skills you have or will pick up along the way your MG will keep
you on the road for less effort, less money and more fun than any
'modern' rice burner or 'murrican tin.

So there (from an avowed desk jockey and, prior to my MG ownership,
once-a-year oil change guy)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///