Are MGB reliable daily drivers?

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Are MGB reliable daily drivers?
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:10:45 -0500
Absolutely. Several people have given very sound advice concerning
the use of Brit cars as daily drivers. I used to have a Midget for 6/7
years as a daily drivers and you really had to listen to the car.
If there was a strange sound - stop investigate and fix if necessary.

Yes they do need more maintenance but then that is to be expected
from a 20/30/40 year old car. They do wear out quicker, so stock
up on parts you know are going to wear and change them regularly.

Earlier in my life I used my Scimitar as my daily driver and my sole
car. Never let me down, but needed regular attention - usually suspension
greasing (trunions have short life span if not fed regular amounts of
grease).
In 60K miles of driving it has never left me stranded.

My current '63 MGB has been with me for 6? years and has never left me
stranded and I think I have down 30K miles while in my ownership.

So if you're prepared to accept the higher maintenance, and are prepared
to changed item regularly, I'd say go for it. First make sure that the major
items are in 1st class order, and you have no problems.

Gerry

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///