Re: Uhaul Trailers

To: Scott Willis <swillis@premiernet.net>
Subject: Re: Uhaul Trailers
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:30:25 -0600
Back when I lived in San Diego, the transmission on my TR7 fragged in
Orange County. Not sure what happened, but it just bounced out of gear
and didn't want to go back in. Try getting over 4 lanes of 70mph traffic
with virtually no power.

I towed it home on a two wheeler but didn't take the drive shaft out.
When I got it home and pulled the tranny, there was nothing left to fix
on the inside. Gears and synchro's on 3-5 where gone. I got a used one
from Ian (foreign parts guy in Sports Arena area, is he still around?)
for
$900, it worked fine. This was about 1987.

But ever since then, I've always wondered if that 5 speed could really
handle the V8.

Scott Willis wrote:

> My experiences have been good. I've been told to not pull the car facing
> forward on a two wheeler but to pull it backward. I am not clear on the
> damage or wear it may cause but I pulled my car to a show when I was having
> mechanical problems and several "old timers" said I was causing damage to
> either the differential or transmission. (These guys looked like they knew
> what they were talking about). The guy I went to the show with said he'd
> towed his A thousands of miles facing forward on a two wheeler and has not
> had problems (yet). Can someone clarify the potential damage caused?
> Thanks,
> Scott
> 59 MGA
> 73 T140
> (not a good mechanic but I keep them running well enough to have a good
> time.....)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///