Re: Triumph Stag / MGB Hybrid

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph Stag / MGB Hybrid
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:35:46 EST
In a message dated 06/03/02 8:08:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The fastest bugeye Sprite on our track (and 'almost' the fastest car out
> there - he is now getting beaten by one other) bears some resemblance to
> a Sprite and even gets called a Sprite MkII.  But...
>
> It is super lightened.  Runs very wide slick tyres.  And is powered by a
> turbocharged Mazda rotary engine.

We had one of those <ahem> modified Buggered Eyes here in BC in the GOD (good
old days). It was powered by a 215 Buick, though Lord knows how they managed
to accomplish that - big shoehorn, I guess.

I always used to raise that car when arguing rules with the vintage racing
guys. They didn't want to allow any 'modified' cars in, but didn't want to
prevent such things as the  Lotus 19 one-off with 215 Buick that ran under
Gurney from running. I would tell them that the Bugeye was converted back
around 1960 and had just as much right to run as the Lotus. They'd go into
all sorts of tortured mental gyrations because they simply wanted to allow
one to run but not the other, but didn't want to come out and say that. Fun
to watch their eyes rolling before they finally went "Gack!" and admitted the
inconsistency of their ways.....

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list