Re: GT real brake cylinders

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT real brake cylinders
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:21:51 -0700
Hmmm, that is only if you assume a one-to-one relationship between brake
pedal pressure and volume of fluid sent to the rear brakes. But I don't
think that's true. What I would expect is a one-to-one relationship between
pedal pressure and line pressure -- if it takes more fluid to achieve the
same line pressure, it moves more fluid. Then, in the larger diameter brake
cylinder, the same pressure being transmitted across a larger area (of the
brake piston) would apply a greater force to the brake shoe.

Otherwise, I don't see how you explain the fact that the heavier GT used
larger cylinders.

Weight transfer under braking would be a factor of front/rear weight
distribution and spring rates, I would think, and wouldn't be affected by
anything in this discussion; i.e. it would be different for roadsters and
GTs, but more or less the same for all roadsters regardless of brake
hardware modifications.

But, then, there is a very real possibility that I don't know what the heck
I'm talking about...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149