Re: Front License Plates

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front License Plates
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:09:46 +0930
Just to carry this thread a bit further...

Until I read a lot of your comments I never knew so many people ran with
no front number plate.  I know the laws are different from place to
place (it is compulsory in Australia) but I would like to know a few
reasons why you would want to NOT have the front number plate.

In my case I removed the front bumber when I installed my spoiler and
found it difficult to mount the number plate.  I was also using the air
'scoop' in the spoiler and mounting the plate where it would normally
hang would obstruct this space. However, because of our laws, I usually
carried the front plate in the car and placed it behind the upright
strut in the centre of the windscreen so it could easily be seen from
the front (yes, I think it obstructed far too much of my vision - but at
least it was showing to the front).  I never got pulled over by the cops
either without any front number plate or with it in the windscreen so I
will never know what the they thought of it.

Putting it in the windscreen also meant I could easily remove it before
taking the car onto the track.

Others in the same position created "stick on" replica number plates
that they stuck to the spoiler (on the base of the air 'scoop/dam').  I
thought of this, but seeing as under our laws this is just as illegal
then I didn't bother.  Our laws state that the number plates must be the
metal ones that are provided by the authorities - a recent change for
the State I currently live in as when I arrived I was stunned to see
some ornately 'hand painted' plastic number plates.

Oh yeah - a reason given for the 'pressed steel' number plates is so
that they can still be read even if the car is accidently or
deliberately burnt out... really!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII