Re: Re: Front License Plates

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Front License Plates
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
dmeadow@juno.com SEZ -
> You've got to find your own.  There is usually someone selling them at the
>swap meets or check Hemmings.  It is getting harder to find ones in good
>condition, although occasionally you can find non-issued ones in mint shape.
>Expect to pay $40 to $60 for a pair, depending upon condition.

(Deletions...)

I paid $125 for a set of unissued 1958 Skamania County (Wash)
plates for my MGA.  But they *were* unissued, so they're
perfect; and having two, I now have a spare with the same
number.  The license plate collector who located them for me
told me it was a fair price (I didn't buy them from her, she
just found them from another collector for me) since it would
cost almost that much to get beat-up plates "restored"!  Yes,
there are people who *restore* license plates.

Here in Washington, you need to go to the County Auditor's
office with the plates, which they verify, then they issue you
a collector car "permanent registration" with the old plate.  No
need to ever renew it.  We also have the restriction about
"no everyday transportation" but the Auditor's office tells
me it's not enforced, and I see enough cars with old plates
at supermarkets and taverns to verify that.

You can also get classic car insurance at a substantial
discount.  I pay $100 a month for my 95 Blazer, and the MGA
is only an additional $20 for full coverage!  But you need
a collector car registration to qualify.  Mine's through
Mutual of Enumclaw, which is not the one that sponsored
"Wild Kingdom".  :-)

--
David Breneman                   |  "Advice is somethin' the
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |   other feller can't use,