Re: Front License Plates

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front License Plates
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:41:07 -0400
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:
>  Tell me more about "year of manufacture" plates.  Do I go try to scare
> up a 1969 TX plate or does the state provide these for a (hefty) fee?

In Ohio I can use year of manufacture plates for any car 25 years or older
provided that the plates were year specific (As modern plates are decidedly
not).

I went and snagged a nice set of 73 Ohio Plates from ebay, there's tons of
them. I got my set for $11 + shipping. I just search for "OHIO PLATES" and
"OHIO PLATE" for singles.

In the end I decided not to use them. The law states, as others have
mentioned, that the vehicle cannot be used for general transportation, but
only for special events. I had thought to flaunt that rule (No, I don't want
to reopen the good cop/bad cop argument), until I heard an unsubstatiated
rumor that after an accident, if the car was found having been used outside
the parameters of it's license it was treated as unlicensed, which is big
fines and a mandatory suspension of driving priveleges. And, of course, once
a car is classified as unlicensed by the state, it's treated as  uninsured
by most Insurance companies. Which, of course the state then takes that you
were driving an uninsured car, which in ohio is even worse than  the
unlicensed car. Bad Mojo.

It's a damn shame, too. The plates which I snagged were "W 777 G". I was
convinced I could find someone smart with a welder who could cut out and
flip that W to an M. And since the car is named Lucky, M 777 G would have
been a KILLER license plate.

--
Chris Thompson