RE: New MG Sports Car to be unvailed next week

To: "'Paul Root'" <proot@iaces.com>, "'David Breneman'"
Subject: RE: New MG Sports Car to be unvailed next week
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:59:13 -0500
Paul's right on with the below message. Qvale Automotive was started by
Kjell Qvale (pronounced Chell Kuh-vah'-lee) back in the 1940s as an
imported and distributor for MGs on the west coast. The business is now
run by Kjell's son Bruce. They import and sell a variety of British and
other foreign exotics.

As for real MGs not being made in Abingdon:

Does that eliminate Old Number One and everything prior to 1929? (all
made in Oxford)

Does that eliminate the front-wheeled drive cars of the 80's, and the
current MGF, ZR, ZS, ZT, ZTT, etc? (Longbridge)

Regards,
Lew Palmer

Behalf
> Of Paul Root
> Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 12:50 PM
> To: David Breneman
> Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: New MG Sports Car to be unvailed next week
>
> Qvale is an importer of historical note. He's based in San Francisco.
>
> He got in a deal with deTomas (I think) to make the Mangusta, a
> semi-exotic, a few years back.
>
> They had failing out about a 1 1/2 ago, and Qvale tried to go it
alone.
> MG Rover bought him out a little over a year ago. And made a show
> car, the X80, a designed over Mangusta. It wasn't well received,
styling
> wise.
>
> The engine, I believe, is/was the Ford modular V8 from the Mustang.
> Front engine, rwd, etc., etc. There are pictures all over the net.
>
> Paul.
>
> David Breneman wrote:
> > Telewest SEZ -
> >
> >>Previous writer said -
> mixed
> >>reception when announced some time ago were caused by having to
retain
> >>sufficient Mangusta engineering to keep its accreditation for the
USA.