Re: WAS uhaul tow dolly/transport 70B NOW rear bearings

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: WAS uhaul tow dolly/transport 70B NOW rear bearings
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 12:52:47 -0500
 HI Don,

  I'll post this to the list JIC there's anyone else who needs to know.

Don Malling wrote:

> Hi CR,
>
> Is your towbar self adjusting or fixed?

  The legs are fixed length.  The distance between them is adjustable. I
adjusted the width so that the brackets attached at the bumper supports.

> I understand self adjusting to mean that the lengths of the towbar sides
> adjust to compensate for small misallignments when connecting between
> the tow-er and tow-ee vehicles.

  That was taken care of when the angle-iron tow bumper was fabricated.
I have a folding towbar on my Yugo. It has a telescoping center bar and
chains that give it rigidity when it's extended.

> If fixed, what are your opinions of the difficultly in getting things
> lined up?

  Hooking a rigid bar up to the tow vehicle is normally a two-person
job, not difficult once you get the hang of it.  One person stands
between the vehicles and guides the driver of the towed vehicle to bring
the bar and the hitch into alignment.  I've done it alone when necessary
but it takes a bit of getting in and out of the towed vehicle.  My
folding bar is dead easy for one person.

> Sorry, but I'm not sure how towbars work. I assume they are not
> connected to the steering in amy way? Are the wheels free to turn and
> follow the towcar's path or do you lock them straight?

  You assume correctly.  You leave the steering wheel unlocked and the
towed vehicle follows the tower like a little dog.  You turn on the
ignition switch to unlock the steering lock, then turn it back off and
leave the key in the lock to keep it unlocked.  Some people devise a way
to keep the key from coming out of the lock whilst towing.  My Yugo has
a blade switch mounted on the  + battery post so as to allow the
ignition switch to remain in the "on" position, thus locking the key in
the lock.  My '69 B has no steering lock.

> Thanks,
>
> Don Malling

  Glad to help,

  CR