RE: Valve clearances? (Beginner)

To: "'Menno.Meijer@ict.nl'" <Menno.Meijer@ict.nl>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Valve clearances? (Beginner)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:02:47 -0800
Menno:

        The thing to watch for in an early (non-smog) MGB head is exhaust
valve seat regression.  If the exhaust valves continually need to be
tightened, it is evidence of the seats eroding away.  If your readings
showed all of the exhaust valves tight, then this is something to worry
about, but from your readings it looks like the intakes and exhausts are all
over the place.

        Go ahead and set the valves to the correct clearances.  There is no
tolerance given, as reading the feeler gauges is more of an art than a
science.  The valves should be set to specification.  The rule of thumb is
that it is allowable for them to be a bit loose, but never too tight.

all the best

Kelvin Dodd