Re: Stupid fuse question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stupid fuse question
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:00:32 -0000
The current rating of a fuse is rather complex, involving time and current.
Manufacturers spec their product with a maximum "sustain" current and a
minimum "blow" current for a given time interval. The "sustain" current and
"blow" current are usually plotted on a graph vs time. The result is a
no-mans area on the graph were the fuse may, or may not, blow. The "blow"
current is usually twice the value of the "sustain" current. American fuses
are rated by their long term "sustain" current. Evidently, the Brits rate
their fuses closer to the "blow" point. I have seen British to American fuse
conversion factors ranging from .5 to .7, so .6 might be a be a good value
to use. I.E. 35 amp British equals 20 amp American. This Triumph web page
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Fuses.html has a nice fuse conversion chart.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470