RE: Stupid fuse question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Stupid fuse question
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 17:58:14 -0600
> I've seen lots of Slo-Blo fuses in old jukeboxes and pinball machines
> (which have to endure a lot of voltage spikes from the relay-based
> "logic" circuitry) and they all have a type of spring-biased element
> in them.  Is the thin/thick element type a newer design?

Well, if I'm picturing the thin/thick element that everyone else is, where
the fusible material is a flat metal blade that's wide on the ends and
narrows down in the center, then no, it's not terribly new.  I suspect
they're made that way for easier assembly and better reliability:  the wide
ends can probably be handled by machines used in the assembly process, and
the larger surface area of solder at the end caps results in a mechanically
stronger joint, so the fuse won't fail from vibration.