Re: MGA Havana - shipping stuff ?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Havana - shipping stuff ?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:33:13 -0600
Wow, you folks are really collectively getting into the mood and swing of
this thing.  I appreciate that, and I figure Demis will appreciate it even
more, assuming he eventually gets the stuff we are talking about.  It feels
great to push the whole train at once, but let's not get the cart too far
ahead of the horse, or we may end up all dressed up with no place to go.

At 10:52 AM 1/15/03 -0700, Bill Meyer wrote:
>The way I see it, Demis needs ....

Well I'm happy that someone else is volunteering for coordinating such
stuff.  I'm busy enough with other things right at the moment.  There will
be a bit of time and effort involved with collecting, shopping, packing,
delivery, and especialy getting everything to one spot if stuff is coming
from all over the country.

>.... I assume it would be best to send them to Gander for transhipment.

I'm not sure we need to go to the bother of shipping through a third
country, but still checking on a few things.  As long as this "stuff" is
intended to be a gift to the recipient at zero cost, and not international
commerce, I suspect it may be okay to just send it direct in the mail via
USPS, which probably requires express air or such going from USA to
Cuba.  I haven't gotten to it yet, but was planning on checking with the
Post Office on regulations and requirements (maybe tomorrow).

I don't suppose mechanical parts necessarily need to be new, although
rubber bits probably do (don't forget the bands to go with the boots).  I
was considering contributing a serviceable rear view mirror (don't forget
the little stuff like screws) and a few other such things.  But I'm still
inquiring on his "wish list" to see what he really needs (or what he may
already have).  One us in cyber space may have good used pair of MGA grab
handles?  I'd surely kick in a few bucks to kelp with shipping.

He mentioned that he has no books or documentation at all, and these don't
have to be new either.  Printed matter might be less "sensitive" to
shipping here than merchandise in general, and used parts may be easier
than new parts.  I was thinking about just sending Demis a book or two
first to see how it goes, like maybe tomorow when I was planning a visit to
the post office anyway.

And Bill Meyer further wrote:
>What I need to do is see what our financial comittment is.  Once all is
>agreed upon, including shipping, I could accept any $ you are willing to
>send and purchase what I can.

There's another open question.  I think sending cash or equivelant may be
taboo.  If this was an intention, then maybe send something else that might
be liquidated or traded on the other end.  While I'm sure he would surely
appreciate some pocket money, I don't know if it would buy many MGA parts
in Cuba.  More like the parts just don't exist there.

At 04:03 PM 1/15/03 -0600, Bullwinkle wrote:
><<<Snip>>>
>2. Bentley manual
><<<snip>>>
>For which vehicle? "MG 1600/1500 - Lada - Lada - Moskovich - Lada - Lada -
>US Wheels - VW - Ford"
><<<grin>>>

Yeah, another grin here.  Maybe he already has a Lada manual.  I don't
think there is a current "Bentley" for the MGA.  Could need a copy of the
MGA Factory Workshop Manual.

At 04:28 PM 1/15/03 -0700, Bill Meyer wrote:
>The engine mounts are also beyond my knowledge.

MGA engine mounts are the same as early MGB.  Gearbox mount is
different.  Keep thinking "rubber bits".  Maybe front suspension seals and
bushings, gearbox and pinion seals, hub seals all around, rear shackle and
silentblok bushings, leaf spring pads.  If we get carried away we may have
him doing a full concours restoration (but then he'd have to give up that
nice Lada alternator).  By the way I'm pretty sure it's a 1600 type gearbox
with high starter position and 2-piece propshaft, but still checking.

If there ends up being a little extra money in the kitty, maybe send him a
copy of "Original MGA" and see how big the grin gets.  I'll likely be
checking our swap meet here at end of February for used books and "whatever".

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com