Re: Not LBC, but related to MG email lists and the internet

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Subject: Re: Not LBC, but related to MG email lists and the internet
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:34:50 -0600
Bullwinkle wrote:

>1)  Set your email composer to send in text only except
>where needed.

Scott McNeally (Sun) had a great comment on this 5+ years ago. He compared
a overblown Microsoft email message with fonts and colors and a text message
something like : "Let's hvae lunch" spelled incorrectly on purpose  to
show just
how much computing power is wasted.

And the part about only quoting what you need too, the old News readers
for (CNews and INN) would inforce that you typed more than you quoted.

One other point to make is to minimize cross posting.

>Now if we could just get rid of the spamming mail, that
>would make the biggest difference with regards to email.

I installed Spamassassin last week on FreeBSD and integrated it into my
procmail filters. I went from 100+  spam messages getting past my home
grown filters in a week to 2 since Sunday. I think I read in the sparse doco
that it has Windows availablity.

It even caught Jeff Zorn's (LBCarCo) spam. :-) I fixed the config to let
that
through.

Paul.